Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Distractions

 

Week 4 of my bike routine.  I am definitely growing stronger leg muscles…good thing as my left leg was  pretty weak.

My heart is getting stronger as well.  I just need to watch my target heart rate. More on that later.

During my ride today I was constantly distracted by tin cans on the side of the road.  Here in the North a soda can is worth 10 cents.  And 10 cents can add up!

So, as I pass my 3rd can my mind starts to wander off course thinking about how I can continue to ride, keep up my speed and pick up these cans.

I am envisioning myself with my daughter’s butterfly net and a plastic grocery bag.  I could swoop down with the net, grab the can, fling it into my left hand and stuff it in the bag….all the while watching the road and keeping up my speed.

Does that sound ridiculous or what?  I was actually picturing myself do this and trying to work every angle to figure out how I was going to accomplish it!

Hey don’t scoff….I’m sure you’ve done this a time or two!

Well, the oncoming large gravel train truck brought me back to my senses…..gravel spewing all over the road, causing me to swerve and almost lose my balance!

As I regained my composure and hoped no one was looking out their window at this “seasoned” bike rider, I began to think…..yea….I know, that’s what got me in trouble the first time.

Anyhow, I realized that those tin cans were a distraction to my focus. I was very focused before that on my breathing, my speed, my heart rate and the road!

But! They those tin cans are worth 10 cents each! There was 7 of those puppies on the ride!  I coulda had 70 cents!

I was willing to give up my focus for 70 cents! P.A.T.H.E.T.I.C.!

How many distractions are on your road to health? How many look like they are valuable distractions but really add no value at all?

Valuable distractions look like this:

God

Spouse

Children

…and in that order

Mine were tin cans…they simply don’t compare…and I almost lost my entire focus.

Are you distracted today?

 

Stay focused,

Sandy

No comments: